Welcome to the Connecticut Emissions Program

Whether you purchase a vehicle from out of state, or are transferring an out of state registration to Connecticut, the vehicle must undergo an emissions test before it can be registered, unless it’s an exempted vehicle. The vehicle can be tested using your current out of state registration or if necessary, you may obtain a temporary Connecticut registration for the purpose of having the vehicle emissions tested.  Please visit your nearest DMV Branch Office to apply for the temporary registration.

If your vehicle is out of state at the time of its scheduled test due date and the 30 days thereafter you may request a ONE time extension, please click here for more information.