Federal Law allows a vehicle’s owner to request a time extension of their vehicle’s emissions test due date, because of various exigent circumstances. Proper, as well as current documentation must be submitted providing proof to the Commissioner’s satisfaction, that the vehicle is unable to be tested at the time of its scheduled inspection, and 30 days thereafter.
Out of State: Connecticut residents with vehicles that are located out of state, at the time of their scheduled test date, and the 30 days thereafter may apply for a one-time six (6) month time extension. Please note, that multiple time extensions for the same vehicle will not be granted unless the criteria for military or out of state students apply.
Students Attending School and Residing Outside of Connecticut: If you are attending a school, college or university outside of Connecticut, you may apply for the six (6) month time extension more than once. However, you will be required to reapply each time and MUST provide an updated acknowledgement on school letterhead confirming your enrollment.
Active Military Personnel: Vehicles located out of state, and owned by Connecticut residents, who are on active military leave may apply for a twelve (12) month time extension more than once. However, you will be required to reapply each time and MUST provide a copy of active military orders.
Reciprocity Testing: You may be eligible to receive a reciprocal test if your vehicle is located in or near an approved jurisdiction. This means vehicles registered in Connecticut may be tested in one of these jurisdictions that comply with Connecticut’s testing requirements. Please note that a reciprocal test inspection must have a passing result.
Please note that a reciprocal test will be honored ONCE, unless the criteria for military or out of state students apply. If your vehicle is eligible to receive a comparable emissions test in one of the approved jurisdictions, you may apply for a one-time extension equivalent to the two (2) year compliance your vehicle would receive in Connecticut.
However, some of these jurisdictions may NOT be able to accommodate your vehicle’s testing requirements and in some cases, emissions testing may be restricted to specific counties or regions.
For further eligibility information, please be sure to check with the applicable jurisdiction before attempting an emissions test. If you are unclear on what type of test your vehicle requires or whether the reciprocal test applies to your situation, please call the motorist hotline at 1-888-828-8399.
To see additional information on reciprocal tests and to view or print the current list of approved jurisdictions click here.
All requests for time extensions are subject to review and approval of the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles. Please forward the following documentation to the DMV address below:
• All requests must include: A written request with vehicle owner’s contact information, including name, out of state and Connecticut mailing addresses and telephone number.
• Excluding Reciprocity, all requests must include: Vehicle Identification Number Verification Form (AE-81), completed and signed by an out of state law enforcement authority (military, local, or state police, or DMV authority).
• Requirement for Reciprocal Testing: If you are attempting to apply for a full two (2) year compliance by having the vehicle tested in another jurisdiction, you must include the Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR). Please note that vehicle must be in a passing status; if the vehicle failed it must be repaired. The Vehicle Identification Number Verification Form (AE-81) is NOT required for reciprocal testing submittals.
• Requirement for Out of State Students: Documentation evidencing current enrollment in the school, college or university, on the school’s letterhead, and the Vehicle Identification Number Verification Form (AE-81), and the Vehicle Identification Number Verification Form (AE-81).
• Requirement for Out of State Active Military: Copy of active military orders, and the Vehicle Identification Number Verification Form (AE-81).
• Requirements for Out of State (non-student, non-military): Vehicle Identification Number Verification Form (AE-81).
Under Repair (accident): If your vehicle is in the process of being repaired resulting from an accident, you may apply for a time extension by forwarding the following documentation to the address below:
• Police report and repair bill(s), with the appropriate dates indicating that your vehicle is unavailable for testing at the time of its scheduled test date, and 30 days thereafter, and the estimated date that repair of the vehicle will be completed.
• Repair bills must be on repair company letterhead.
Submitting Time Extension Requests or Reciprocity Testing
All requests for time extensions are subject to DMV approval.
Do not submit a reciprocal test completed another jurisdiction that is in fail status. Reciprocal test inspections must have a passing result.
Send all documentation for time extensions or completed tests to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
60 State Street, Room 103
Wethersfield CT 06161
You may also fax application documents to: (860)263-5561 or (860)263-5571.
If you have any additional questions about time extensions, please contact the DMV Emissions Division at (860)263-5333 or (860)263-5611.